Henry Ford, Ford Motor Company Founder
Josephine "Josie" Taylor, the managing member of Pipkin Communications, is a communications professional with more than 30 years of experience in a higher-education setting as a writer, editor, designer and marketer.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts from Mary Washington University and a Master of Education with an emphasis on instructional technology from the University of Virginia. She has attended conferences offered by the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), an international association of educational institutions, on editing, marketing and communications, and has received training in speech writing and advanced social media.
She served as director of communications for the University of Virginia, School of Engineering and Applied Science for over a decade. Prior to that, she served as web manager for the University Library System and for fifteen years she held a position as director of promotions and productions for the University of Virginia Department of Music and as director of promotions of the Charlottesville Youth Orchestra.
- Speech writing for academic, alumni and development events
- Creation of award-winning fundraising materials
- Special Merit Award, Fundraising, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (District II Competition)
- Development of comprehensive admissions recruitment materials with proven results
- Publication editing and production in print, electronic and web
- Crafting of direct mail solicitation strategies and design of fundraising materials
- Design and editing monthly electronic newsletter, www.seas.virginia.edu/enews
- Creation of an award-winning Web site: “The Psychedelic ’60s: Literary Tradition and Social Change”
- Reviewed in the Chronicle of Higher Education, July 2, 1998
- Featured on CNN Headline News, Nov. 11, 1998
- A#1 Quality Award for Excellence by Qualify Search Engine, 1999
- Establishment of ARTS$, a program that supports arts events throughout the University with a portion of student activities fees
- Awarded staff development internship from the Office of the President
- Wrote successful grant from the Charlottesville Foundation to support instrument funding and scholarships for the Youth Orchestra